Aimsun Next About Aimsun Next Overview
Aimsun Next Overview
Aimsun Next is an all-in-one approach to mobility modeling, providing a single, united network representation of how people move in any mode, on any scale.
Aimsun Next harmonizes, in one package, all levels and methodological approaches to transportation modeling:
• Microscopic simulation and analysis (including pedestrians, bikes, and vehicles with non-lane-based behavior)
• Mesoscopic simulation and analysis
• Macroscopic assignment and analysis
• Hybrid meso–micro schemes
• Hybrid macro–meso schemes
• Classic four–step travel models
• Static transit assignment
• Dynamic transit assignment
Aimsun Next can respond to the complexity or simplicity of any project and comes with an extensive toolkit of built-in features. What’s more, it can be further enhanced and extended with Python scripts, APIs, software toolkits, and it connects to external systems as and when needed. So, while it is an excellent tool by itself, it is also a gateway to even wider possibilities, collaborations, and sophisticated approaches to modeling goals.
What are the benefits of integrated simulation?
Use the right tool for your project, without the hassle of moving from program to program
Build extensible models at any scale
Work free from tedious, error-prone manual interfacing between different software packages
Reduce your administrative and maintenance costs and stop churning your organization’s expertise
Consolidate data collection and manipulation: use one set of real data you can filter as necessary
Work in parallel as a team on the same model using our Revisions feature
Save revisions separately and merge them into the base model as and when required
What does Aimsun Next do best?
The applications are virtually infinite, but here are some of the things that Aimsun Next does best in three major areas:
• Evaluating new infrastructure proposals without incurring real-world costs and disruption
• Managing transportation needs for large-scale events
• Mapping out and testing new pedestrian areas
• Optimizing transit signal priority (TSP) strategies
• Managing the impact of roadworks and work zones on traffic usage
• Simulating connected and automated vehicles
• Testing ‘smart city’ initiatives
• Analyzing battery consumption of electric vehicles
• Testing variable-speed policies and other traffic management actions
• Modeling intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and cooperative intelligent transport systems (C-ITS)
• Testing and comparing proposals for transport upgrades or developments
• Producing the inputs for cost–benefit analyses of new infrastructure or services
• Modeling current and future highway schemes
• Conducting feasibility studies into high-occupancy-vehicle (HOV) and high-occupancy-toll (HOT) lanes
• Running environmental impact studies
• Studying the effect of tolls and road pricing
• Modeling network operations that might impact route choice, such as parking schedules, turn closures or reversible lanes
• Analyzing the safety levels of infrastructure, changes, and strategies
• Testing networks against Highway Capacity Manual (HCM) guidelines
• Evaluating travel demand management (TDM) strategies
• Testing the impact and feasibility of bus rapid transit (BRT) schemes
Why should I choose Aimsun Next over other software packages?
Intuitive model builds
Meet tight project deadlines
Aimsun Next seamlessly integrates all traffic and pedestrian models, at all levels of granularity, in a single program. This is our USP and presents an exceptional advantage when you need to combine strategic and operational tasks and want this to come with the free exchange of data. One quick example would be transferring path-assignment results from a macroscopic model to a microscopic model. With Aimsun Next, this kind of multi-layered flexibility has never been easier.